Hours: Exterior view or by appointment only, Weekdays, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
This two-story wooden frame church represents the third formal structure associated with the Highland Scots community known as Argyle, the origins of which date to 1756. This church, completed in 1846-1847, was partially built by slave labor using all local materials. Built in the classical Greek Revival style it features a symmetrical entrance way, large columns on the front portico, no steeple, tall windows, and a central Palladian window. The interior features a second-story gallery around three-quarters of the room, accessible by opposing stairways from the exterior rear walls. The gallery was built for enslaved Africans and African-Americans to join their owners and other community members in the congregation. Early church services were held in Gaelic language. In accordance with early Presbyterian doctrine the sexes also sat segregated during services, so this church features two front doors and a dividing partition extended down central bank of pews. This structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The adjacent cemetery, surrounded by a dry-laid stone wall, contains over 233 marked graves, along with one mass burial dating to the Civil War era. This graveyard served the community from the early 1770s until 1930s. Markers made of granite, marble, sandstone and wood reflect the names and origins of many community members, including one marker in Gaelic. Annual reunions of congregation descendants still meet at this church.