Hours: Exterior view only. Open to the public daily, before dusk.
The current building of MacPherson Church was built in 1868 and features brick salvaged from the U.S. Arsenal. However, the first minister, Reverend Angus McDiarmid (who is buried at Long Street Church Cemetery), held open-air services in Gaelic and English since 1793, as the original congregation was of Scottish decent, like many other churches in the area. Today, inside the church, a visitor may see many objects from its past; the first communion service, handmade tin sconces from the original building, the sounding board, and the communion bench. The cemetery consists of many early, prominent Scottish families of the area; including the Shaw’s, the McPherson’s as well as individuals such as Theopolis Holmes, a Lieutenant General in the Confederate Army.